The London Office
Based in the heart of Soho, BBH London is a vibrant hub of creativity, where the Black Sheep was first born. Today we are home to over 400 BBHer’s across our different specialisms, all connected by one culture.
There is no ‘one size fits all’ at BBH. We believe in difference. Because it makes a difference. If you surprise people then they’ll sit up. If you speak a different language to everyone else then they’ll listen. If you craft your message with love and originality then that message will land harder. If you give people something useful that makes their lives a little bit better then they’ll thank you. Everything we do is born out of the pursuit of difference. We fill our building with people who are different. We like to work with people who are different.
Our enduring commitment to difference is best embodied by The Black Sheep. It represents our businesses, our culture and the people who work here.
Job posted: 1st June 2018
Job closes: 29th June 2018
At its simplest, the role of the Strategy Director is to set the strategic direction for our Clients’ brands and businesses and provide the springboard for big brand ideas.
Today’s Strategy Director needs to be able to think strategically across the whole customer journey, as well as be proven around outstanding advertising ideas. The BBH icon is a Black Sheep, because we believe in the power of difference to make a difference – so are looking for people who can think differently. To do this our belief is the strategy process at BBH must always strive to instigate, develop, nurture and ‘test’ original thinking on the brand and its advertising. This is why the phrase ‘creative brand thinking’ rather than ‘planning’ has sometimes been used to describe the job at BBH. The Strategy Director’s role in that process must be to lead that thinking and ensure it is the best it can possibly be.
The core responsibilities of the Strategy Director role can be broadly broken down into the following areas:
- To comprehensively understand the brands, you work on – their definitions, their core characteristics, how they should and shouldn’t behave – and be able to articulate their strategies.
- To lead strategic direction of the account strategic arguments.
- To present strategic thinking clearly and convincingly.
- To get to grips with how the advertising you are involved in actually works, and whether or not it is effective.
- To continually strive to develop fresh insight, and latest industry learning which adds value to your Client’s business, whether in relation to advertising or any other aspect of the communication mix.
- Providing ongoing evaluation of the effectiveness of the work.
- To enhance our chances of getting great work out by helping to make the account team’s thinking relevant and useful to the Creatives.
- Create clear engagement principles for campaigns
- To be able to spot good creative ideas when you see them and know whether they are on brief (or not).
- To have a respected point of view on creative issues from key stakeholders from Clients to Creatives
- To build the trust, confidence and respect of all those you work with, including: Your account team, clients and wider agency departments
- Help to hire and build our Strategy department
- To be aware at all times of the changing team, hiring, managing and motivating those who work for them.
- To lead and support a developmental environment, enabling others to reach their full potential
- Understand the client’s business objectives, challenges and growth opportunities
- To ensure your Clients feel confident that you care as much about their business as they do, despite the pressures of working on other accounts.
- To become a trusted strategic counsel to senior clients
Skills, Knowledge and Experience Required
- Bachelors level degree (minimum) in an industry relevant subject
- Experience of partnering closely with strong creatives and ECDs
- Business development skills – proven experience in winning new business globally
- Experience leading effective integrated communications campaigns
- Global brand experience across multiple markets outside of the UK
- Experience working across offices within an agency network
- Experience of training and mentoring talent
- Excellent strategic thinking with a track record of delivering effective and differentiated brand strategies
- Expertise beyond traditional advertising strategy skills in emerging areas such as brand experience and behavioural economics
- Ability to lead and inspire through new and current creative principles
- Passion for pop culture and emerging trends
- Strong research skills through:
- conceptual understanding (the limitations of pre-testing, the difficulties of tracking press, the principles of effectiveness measurement, etc.)
- practical skills (being clear what data there is on your brand, how your data is collected, how to get hold of it quickly; writing research proposals, managing the process efficiently, etc.).
- The ability to display total mastery of the research on your account
- Adaptable communication skills to suit the needs of different audiences via simple articulation and well-argued logic (written vs verbal, formal vs informal, etc.)
- An active listener, able to listen to and respect the thoughts and opinions of others; encouraging people to talk to you and to help develop their ideas.
- An ongoing awareness of how the market works and how well your brand and its competitors are doing.
- An industry known thought leader on advertising and communications
- An ability to use this knowledge effectively to inform the team of anything which could enhance its performance.
- The ability to keep your clients informed with your knowledge (from sending them interesting articles, to giving a considered opinion on competitive NPD, etc.), ensuring they view you as a trusted advisor